With temperatures expected to hit the teens this week, it’s time we all turn the heat on in our apartments and get ready for hibernation. With utility bills expected to be at an all time high this winter, it’s time we start creating warmth in our apartment homes the natural way. Outside of body warmth, there are some things you can do around the home that will keep the warm air in and push the cool air out. Here are a few tricks you can put to work tonight:
- Open your windows and shades during the day to let the sun in. Ever get into your car in the winter and start sweating? It’s the ‘greenhouse’ effect taking place; you can create this same thing in your apartment home by inviting sunlight it.
- Turn down your thermostat during the day and let the sun naturally heat your home.
- No need to tip-toe across the kitchen floor in the morning; instead lay down rugs and carpets on bare floors to help them feel warmer.
- Check for drafts near windows and doors. If you feel a substantial draft coming from anywhere in your apartment, please contact the main office.
- If you spend the majority of your time in one room, then look into a space heater. There’s no need to heat your whole home when you spend most of the time in one spot.
- Last but not least, dress in layers. The extra clothes will heat up your body temp and drive your heating bill down. Make sure to pay attention to the feet and keep them warm with thick socks or slippers!
These five tips, when regularly practiced will easily drive your monthly utility bills down while keeping you just as warm this winter! Give them a shot and let us know how they worked out! Track your savings and then let your neighbors know!